PRME UK and Ireland Business and Society Research Development Workshop Series
May 14th 2021 – University of Bath, School of Management, Online
Are you looking to publish business and society research in top journals and have impact in the world? Do you have work in progress that would benefit from expert feedback from senior scholars?
PRME UK and Ireland, in conjunction with partner institutions (City University London, University of Bath, University College Dublin, University of Glasgow, and University of Nottingham) is holding a series of five paper development workshops between 2021-2025 to help early and mid-career scholars develop their business and society work for publication and impact. The first workshop, which will be held online, will be hosted by the Centre for Business, Organisations and Society at the University of Bath on May 14th, 2021.
Participants to the workshop will benefit from guidance from experienced scholars and journal editors/associate editors, and get insight on what it takes to publish papers with a business and society focus in leading peer reviewed journals. They will also receive intensive feedback on their work in progress from mentors during the workshop and will have time to meet and discuss informally with journal editors and mentors. Confirmed participants include Stephen Brammer, Robert Caruana, Charles Cho, Andrew Crane, Giana Eckhardt, Marianna Fotaki, Sarah Glozer, Jean-Pascal Gond, Johanne Grosvold, Andrew Hoffman, Jennifer Howard-Grenville, Dima Jamali, Pierre McDonagh, Andrea Prothero, Deirdre Shaw, Stephen Pavelin, Jonatan Pinkse, Juliane Reinecke, and Vivek Soundararajan.
The workshop will include the following:
- Editors panel discussing how to publish business and society research in general management journals, featuring editors and associate editors from the following journals: Academy of Management Journal, British Journal of Management, Human Relations, Journal of Consumer Research, and Organization Studies.
- Keynote talk from Andrew Hoffman, University of Michigan: “The engaged scholar: expanding the impact of academic research in today’s world.”
- Paper feedback in small groups, with senior scholar mentors in each group.
- Networking session in small groups with editors and associate editors from leading specialist business and society journals, including Business Ethics Quarterly, Business & Society, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Macromarketing, Organization & Environment, and Business Ethics, Environment and Responsibility(formerly Business Ethics: A European Review).
To apply to the workshop, you need to submit a work in progress paper that you are targeting for journal submission. Please indicate in your submission your target journal or journals. We welcome the submission of both empirical papers (quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methods) and purely theoretical work.
Accepted papers MUST be in the broad field of business and society. Priority will be given to papers that:
- are high quality works in progress;
- have potential for publication in top tier journals;
- are focused on topics related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- have at least one author from a UK or Ireland institution.
The workshop is free for all participants. Your institution does not need to be a member of PRME UK & Ireland to participate (although it would be appreciated!).
Deadline for submission: 5pm GMT, 9th April 2021. Please submit your work in progress (4000-8000 words including references, double line-spaced) to CBOS@bath.ac.uk.
If you have any questions, please contact the organizer, Andrew Crane at email@example.com
Future workshops will be held in the Spring of the following years:
2022 – University of Glasgow, Organizer – Deirdre Shaw
2023 – City University London, Organizer – Jean-Pascal Gond
2024 – University of Nottingham, Organizer – Robert Caruana
2025 – University College Dublin, Organizer – Andrea Prothero
We look forward to receiving your submissions.